Career Options and Advanced Study
Communication ranks among the most pragmatic and popular fields of academic study. It provides an ideal springboard many established occupations, a rapidly growing number of new careers, and a large variety of graduate and professional degrees. For more information please see Career Opportunities in Communication as well as the materials posted under BA in Communication Studies and BA in Corporate Communication.
Major in Communication Studies
Communication Studies is among the top ten majors in popularity nationwide. Interest in the field is based on the increasing complexity of human relationships; globalization with unprecedented social, economic, political, and cultural dynamics; the importance of understanding messages and their consequences for addressing vital societal and political concerns; and the pervasive influence of media, including communication technology and social media. As a result, the major in Communication Studies prepares students for a large variety of careers and graduate and professional degrees.
Interpersonal and Group Communication
- Careers: speech or communication training and coaching, counseling, mediation, sales, employee relations, community outreach or development
- Graduate Degrees: communication studies, communication education, psychology
- Certification and Professional Degrees: counseling, human resource management
Intercultural and International Communication
- Careers: intercultural training, international business, multicultural marketing, global communications, diplomacy, foreign correspondence, international education, travel industry, international development
- Graduate Degrees: communication studies, intercultural communication, international relations, international development, international business
- Certification and Professional Degrees: diversity training, intercultural business consulting, global relocation and transition counseling
For more information, see Careers and Advanced Study, Communication Careers, the STARR Spotlight on Communication Studies, and Intercultural/International Communication Internships and Careers. For more information on internships, careers, and graduate programs (including at the United Nations, in intercultural training, or in international affairs), contact Prof. Elisabeth Gareis.
Rhetoric and Public Advocacy
- Careers: communication and public policy, lobbying, legislative work, political campaigning, speechwriting, community outreach, political activism
- Graduate Degrees: communication studies, law
Digital Communication and Culture
- Careers: new media industries, multimedia planning, social media coordination, digital communications, digital content management, publishing, media sales
- Graduate Degrees: communication studies, studies related to journalism and broadcasting
- Certification and Professional Degrees: screenwriting, documentary media, media management, film production
Major in Corporate Communication
The major in the Corporate Communication offered by the Department of Communication Studies prepares students for careers in the corporate communication divisions of major corporations, in public relations firms and advertising agencies, in consulting firms, and as communication specialists in the public sector or with nonprofit organizations. Moreover, with the program’s strong foundation in business, students may also seek positions in sales and marketing, management, and in corporate training and development.
Students interested in learning more about the field of public relations are encouraged to view the video “What is Public Relations?” VHS 1011 in the Newman Library, Baruch College.
Recent graduates have taken positions with such companies as Burson-Marsteller, Morgan Stanley, Madison Square Garden, Dun & Bradstreet, NYU Medical Center, Miramax, and Financial World Magazine.
Job and Internship Search Websites
Communication Career and Internship Sites
Career Development at Baruch
The Starr Career Development Center provides undergraduate career services at Baruch College. Services include career counseling; vocational testing; mock interview training; resume reviews; career-related workshops; sponsorship of Career Days, an Internship Fair and part-time and full-time job and internship position postings.
Starr Career Development Center search engine on jobs and internships for Baruch students and alumni.
General Career and Internship Sites
Features include: My Monster, resume management, a personal job search agent, a careers network, chats and message boards, privacy options, expert advice on job-seeking and career management, and free newsletters.
Miscellaneous Career Sites
Please note that, regardless of the source, internships for credit (COM 5010, 5011) have to be approved by the department’s internship coordinator.
The Starr Career Development Center provides a search engine on jobs and internships for Baruch students and alumni.
InternJobs.com is a national database of internships for students and recent graduates. Internship seekers can search the InternJobs.com database by keywords or location.
Use InternshipPrograms.com to post your resumé to employers who are exclusively looking for interns or search a database of internships, read internship reviews or research companies and careers on Wetfeet.com.
Internships.com describes itself as the world’s largest internship marketplace. Search options include location and major.
At Internweb.com, employers post internships for student viewing. The site features a real-time database and content that is presented in a clear, concise and easy-to-use format.
The Internship Placement Program of the Weissman Center arranges internships in firms doing business within the global market in the New York metropolitan area, and assists students who desire to work and live in a country outside of the United States.
Professional Associations and Career Development
Professional associations and institutes offering career development provide excellent networking opportunities, the latest developments in the field, and information on careers. Some of the following websites also include information on internships.