Explore communication studies at Baruch
Communication studies is both a scholarly and professional academic discipline that focuses on processes of communication in interpersonal, intercultural, organizational, political, and mediated contexts. The strategic and practical nature of the field make majors in communication popular choices at both the undergraduate and graduate levels.
The Department of Communication Studies at Baruch College offers the following programs:
- BA in Business Communication with specialization in Corporate Communication with over 700 students
- BA in Communication Studies with over 200 students and a choice of four concentrations in Interpersonal and Group Communication, Intercultural and International Communication, Rhetoric and Public Advocacy, and Digital Communication and Culture
- MA in Corporate Communication with over 70 students
- Minor in Communication Studies with over 800 students
- Public speaking (COM 1010) with more than 2,500 students annually
Students in our courses examine this multifaceted and multidisciplinary field and develop an advanced understanding of communication, while learning theoretical principles that are immediately applicable to every career path. Our faculty guides students in developing their oral and written communication abilities, in both personal and professional contexts, and encourages students to incorporate sound principles of analytical, interpersonal, rhetorical, visual, intercultural, mediated, and strategic communication into their daily lives.
Our faculty members are distinguished contributors to the field of communication studies, with expertise in such areas as:
- Business communication
- Communication pedagogy
- Corporate and organizational communication
- Family and work life balance
- Intercultural and international communication
- Interpersonal and group communication
- Media studies
- Public relations
- Rhetorical communication and persuasion
Summer/Fall Registration Information
Students requesting closed-class permission can go to the following links below starting April 7th, 2021.
Capstone request Form (for COM 4900, 4901, 4905)
Student Request form (for other upper level classes except COM 5010)
Our office staff is currently working remotely and can be reached via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you would like to speak to a member of our staff we are available via Zoom during the following hours.
Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday
1:00 PM-2:00 PM and 4:00 PM-5:00 PM
Please email the department for the meeting passcode.