Forms and Applications
Academic appeal forms can be downloaded in PDF format or Microsoft Word, or picked up in the Office of the Associate Dean, located at the NYC Room 8-265. Please carefully read the instructions for each type of request.
The Weissman Committee on Academic Standing is based in the Office of the Associate Dean.
These are some of the appeals handled by the committee:
- Retroactive withdrawal from a class or total resignation (after the semester is over)
- Permission to drop after the deadline (within the semester)
- Request for an extension to resolve an INC grade
- Request for reinstatement if dismissed
- Three-Time Repeat of a Course
- Curricular adjustments or waivers of academic rule
All requests should be documented with supporting evidence: medical notes, military papers, etc. The filing of an appeal does not guarantee a favorable decision; the committee weighs all the information presented by the student and arrives at a conclusion based upon the application of College rules and the appropriateness of the request.
The student is informed in writing of the committee’s decision. Students do not appear before the committee.
Appeals should be sent via email to WSAS.AssocDean@baruch.cuny.edu with ACADEMIC APPEAL in the subject line.
Independent Study Forms
Occasionally, students wish to pursue an area of study not covered in the college’s course offerings. A student who wishes to enroll in an independent study selects a subject in consultation with a full-time faculty advisor, who acts as his or her supervisor. A full description of the project and its specific goals, as well as a preliminary bibliography and an account of the means of evaluation (papers, exams, etc.), must be included in the written prospectus.
Once approved by the faculty advisor and the department chair, the proposal is submitted to the Office of the Associate Dean at WSAS.AssocDean@baruch.cuny.edu for school approval.
This form must be filed in the Office of the Associate Dean no later than the following dates during the semester before the Independent Study will be taken:
Fall–August 15 Winter–December 15 Spring–January 15
- Independent studies are NOT offered during summer sessions.
- Independent studies have the same registration deadline as regular courses.
- Students must have a minimum GPA of 2.0 and be in good standing, without unresolved INC grades.
Once proposals are approved, students are contacted via email with registration instructions. Please refer to the Academic Calendar for registration deadlines.
Application For Credit Overload
The credit overload option allows students to register for 19 to 21 credits in the spring or fall semester. In the summer sessions, a maximum of five courses is allowed, with a limit of three courses in one session; in the January intersession, the maximum is three courses. Students in the Weissman School of Arts and Sciences must have an overall GPA of 3.0 or higher to be eligible for a credit overload. Those enrolled in FSPM (Summer Immersion) and/or ESL courses, those enrolled in MTH 1023, and those with unresolved INC grades are not eligible.
Students who are registered for credit overloads may not alter their schedules once the semester or session has begun, and those with approved overloads will have holds placed on their records, preventing any registration changes (add, drop, or swap). Anyone who wishes to rescind an overload request before the semester officially begins, or who wishes to adjust his or her schedule during the late registration period while maintaining the approved overload must contact the Office of the Associate Dean for assistance (VC Room 8-265; WSAS.AssocDean@baruch.cuny.edu; 646-312-3890). Requests to go below the approved number of semester credits require an appeal to the Weissman Committee on Academic Standing, which is also based in the Associate Dean’s Office.
Please return the completed credit overload application to the Office of the Associate Dean at WSAS.AssocDean@baruch.cuny.edu
Application to Take a Course Pass/Fail
Only students matriculated in the Weissman School may elect to receive pass/fail grades instead of a letter grade in certain courses. Students may exercise the pass/fail option a maximum of two times during their academic career, and are restricted to one course in any given semester.
- This option may not be exercised within the credit area/requirements for a student’s major, minor, or towards the fulfillment of general education requirements (Required Core, Flexible Core, and College Option of the Pathways curriculum, or Tiers I, II, and III of the Common Core curriculum).
- Students are not allowed to use the Pass/Fail option for: CMP/ENG 2800; CMP/ENG 2850; or 1000-level courses offered by the Department of Natural Sciences.
- The pass/fail grading option may not be used for the additional BA requirements–the Weissman Core: COM 1010 and foreign language, or for students following the Common Core Curriculum, foreign language, natural science, and cultural studies.
Students wishing to take courses on a pass/fail basis must file their requests with the Office of the Associate Dean (VC 8-265; WSAS.AssocDean@baruch.cuny.edu) within the first three weeks of class. Please check the Academic Calendar on the Registrar’s Office site for specific dates.
Application for an Exemption Exam
An exemption exam is taken when a student has acquired sufficient knowledge in a subject other than a Baruch College course. Students must obtain approval from the appropriate contact person (see application) to take an exemption exam. A student is not permitted to take an exemption exam if they are registered for the course.
Students will receive credit for the course if a grade of 80% or over is earned. Students will be exempt without credit if a grade of 70%-79% is earned. Students will not be exempt and will not receive credit if grade is less than 70%.
Additional Academic Forms From the Registrar
Please see the Registrar’s Office site for various enrollment-related applications, including:
- Application for Graduation
- Diploma Mailing Request
- Declaration of Liberal Arts Minor/College Option Capstone Form
- Business Minor for Non-Business Major Form
- Undergraduate Non-Degree/Visiting Student Application
- Outgoing Non-CUNY Permit Application
- Re-entry Application
- Enrollment Verification Request Form
- Transcript Request
Office of the Registrar
Library and Information Technology Building
151 East 25th Street, Box H-850
New York, NY 10010
Fax: 646-312 1151
Please see the Registrar’s Office directory for unit-specific information.